Ecommerce category pages are the foundation of an online store. They provide a vital link between the home page and the product pages.
This helps shoppers find what they’re looking for and makes it easier to navigate through the makes, but category pages do more than provide convenience. They also affect your SEO rankings.
If you want your e-commerce site to stand out from the competition, you need to optimize your category pages for SEO. This article will discuss the importance of SEO for e-commerce category pages and provide tips and strategies to help you create compelling and SEO-friendly category pages.
What are ecommerce category pages?
E-commerce category pages are general pages for all products in your store. Wherever you find products, you’ll find this page; it’s the overarching page all products point to. Like product pages, these pages help shoppers find the products they’re looking for and navigate the site.
The primary goal of your e-commerce category pages is to provide convenience and help shoppers find the products they want. Category pages also have an indirect impact on your SEO rankings. You can improve your site’s rankings and customer experience with the right optimizations.
Category pages are at the top of your site’s hierarchy, between your homepage and the search results. You’ll most often see category pages for B2C e-commerce stores, although many B2B stores also use them.
What is the importance of SEO for ecommerce category pages?
SEO for e-commerce category pages is important for the same reasons it is for any page of your site. You want the pages to be easy to find, navigate, and buy products from your site. To achieve these goals, your pages need to be found.
The more easily your pages are found, the more likely shoppers are to find your site. The more likely shoppers are to find your site, the more likely they are to buy products from your site.
SEO for category pages is particularly important for two reasons: You want to rank for the keywords you’ll use for your main keywords. – You want to rank for the most relevant keywords to your products.
Keyword Research for Ecommerce Category Pages
Keyword research for e-commerce category pages is like it is for all pages. You’ll want to conduct keyword research to find the keywords that your potential customers are using to search for products.
You can use any keyword research tool, whether it’s Google, Amazon, or other tools. Look at the buyer personas that you used to create your products.
Then look at the words that your potential customers are using. This will help you find the keywords that your customers are searching for. You’ll also want to look at your website to see what keywords customers might search for.
Optimizing Your Category Pages for SEO
Several SEO-friendly strategies can be used to improve SEO and rankings for your e-commerce category pages. Here are some of the most important SEO-friendly strategies for e-commerce category pages:
- Use suitable headings and subheadings – Headings and subheadings are the building blocks of SEO, and they’re the first thing that Google will see when it crawls your pages. You want to use appropriate headings and subheadings, which will help you rank for the keywords that your customers are using, as well as help Google understand the context of your page.
- Organize your content – Headings and subheadings will help you organize your content and make it easier for Google to crawl and rank your pages. – Add internal links – Internal links are the link underlines that you see on most websites. The primary purpose of internal links is to direct your readers from one section of your site to another section of your site. This is a critical SEO strategy for e-commerce category pages.
- Include your target keywords in your article text – According to the research study by Ahrefs, 95% of all e-commerce keywords are found in the text of your articles. You want to include your target keywords in your article text when possible.
- Include your target keywords in the article titles – Again, according to the Ahrefs study, 85% of all e-commerce keywords are found in the article titles. When possible, you want to include your target keywords in the article titles. – Optimize your images
- Images are another critical part of your ecommerce SEO strategy. This is especially true for your product images, but you also want to optimize your category page images to improve their SEO.
- Optimize your alt-text – This text accompanies your images, and it expands on the image’s description by providing more information about the image. Alt-text is another important part of your e-commerce SEO strategy.
- Create a canonical URL – A canonical URL is a single link that directs your website visitors to all of your pages, including your category pages. You want your canonical URL to be a relevant keyword.
Internal Linking Strategies for Ecommerce Category Pages
Internal linking is a strategy for linking to other pages on your site and external sites. You want to link to the pages that your products and other pages in your store are linked to. You want your links to be relevant and keyword-rich, and you want them to be contextual.
As with all your links, you want internal links for your e-commerce category pages to be relevant and keyword-rich. You also want your links to be contextual, which means you want them to go to the section of your site that your linked page is linked to.
Structuring Your Article Text
The structure of your article text will play a significant role in ranking your e-commerce category pages. In particular, you want to ensure that you have the article text and images in place to help your pages rank for the keywords you’ll use for your main keywords.
Content Strategies for Ecommerce Category Pages
There are several content strategies that you can use to help boost your page’s SEO and improve the ranking of your e-commerce category pages
- Create an editorial calendar – Creating an editorial calendar tracks your posts and helps you prioritize your content. It also helps with your timing since you want to publish fresh content that ranks well for the keywords.
- Write consistently – Quality is important, but consistency is even more critical. You want your posts to be fresh and high quality.
- Focus on quality over quantity. You want to focus on quality over quantity regarding your e-commerce SEO and content strategies. A post with one sentence and one image is more likely to rank better than a post with 30 sentences and 30 images.
- Avoid keyword stuffing – Keyword stuffing is another content strategy you want to avoid. This is when you include keywords in your posts unnaturally, such as in the titles or the body of your posts.
E-commerce category pages are an important part of your store. They help shoppers find the products that they want and make it easier to navigate through the site. They also indirectly impact your SEO rankings and are an important part of your e-commerce marketing strategy. You can increase your site’s rankings for relevant keywords with the right optimizations. This will make it easier for shoppers to find what they want. You can use SEO-friendly strategies to optimize your e-commerce category pages for SEO.
Join the discussion